Check out our list of state and local scholarships. It is a great place to start.
Scholarships Offered by Colleges
Campuses offer many resources to help their students pay for college.
We want to help you maximize your scholarship success, check out these tips.
There are many options out there, we have narrowed them down for you.
You, yes you! You are scholarship material because you have a story to tell. A story about perseverance, giving back, learning something new - that’s what scholarship essays are made of - stories. Use those stories to earn money to pay for college. Scholarships are money for college that you don’t have to repay. Scholarships can go a long way toward making college more affordable for students who are willing to put in the work to apply.
We've curated a list of state, local, and a few national scholarships for Montana students. Our experience working with students and scholarships for many years has shown that students are typically more successful earning local scholarships, as there are generally fewer students competing for these awards compared to national scholarships.
Gianforte Scholarship 2022
Reach Higher Montana Scholarship Opportunities
Stick with Scholarships
Opens Nov. 1, closes Nov. 30
High school students have a chance to win one of six $500 scholarships, by posting a picture of one of our stickers to Instagram or Facebook and tagging us. This opportunity is open to all Montana high school students.
Reach Higher Montana Scholarship
Opens Dec. 1, closes Jan. 15
Reach Higher Montana awards up to 80 - $2,000 scholarships to Montana high school seniors and current college students. Increased this year from $1,000 to $2,000.
Design a Sticker, Win a Scholarship
Opens Feb.1, closes Mar. 15
Design our next sticker for a chance to earn a $1,500, $1,000 or $500 scholarship. Six scholarships will be awarded, this opportunity is open to all Montana high school students.
Opens Mar. 15, closes Apr. 22
Reach Higher Montana is giving away over $30,000 in prizes, including (10) $1,000 scholarships, (10) $1,000 Tool and Equipment packages, (4) $500 scholarships for most creative video and much more. Upload a video or photo and tell us about your plans after high school. Open to all Montana high school seniors.
Finding Montana Scholarships
Local vs. National Scholarships
Scholarships Offered by Colleges and Universities
Campuses offer many scholarships to incoming freshmen, transfer students, and students in specific programs of study. Check out your institution's website or get in touch with the financial aid office. Apply early for scholarships offered by the college you plan to attend.
Here are just a few of the scholarships available through the Montana University System Colleges and Universities:
- : The MUS Honor Scholarship is a four-year renewable scholarship, which waives the recipient's tuition when used at an eligible campus. Its average value at a 4-year Montana campus is $5,000 a year or $20,000 for four years.
- : The 2 + 2 Honor Scholarship is awarded annually to students who graduate with an associate degree from a 2-year campus of the Montana University System or a Montana Community College.
- : Montana's STEM Scholarship Program is designed to provide an incentive for Montana high school students to prepare for, enter into, and complete degrees in postsecondary fields related to science, technology, engineering, mathematics and healthcare.
All students should complete the FAFSA annually, ideally by the December 1 priority deadline. Many sources of scholarship aid awarded by the college will only consider students who have completed the FAFSA.
Strategies for Scholarship Success
Scholarships are available for all kinds of students. It's a myth that scholarships are only awarded to valedictorians and athletes. There are so many people who believe in education and support students through scholarships. We suggest the following strategies to maximize your scholarship success:
- Start close to home. Most likely, there will be fewer applicants for local scholarships than national scholarships, which increases your odds of winning.
- Apply early for scholarships offered by the campus you plan to attend. Campuses offer many scholarships to incoming freshmen, transfer students, and students in specific programs of study.
- Do your homework. Research scholarships for which you're eligible to apply, and keep a folder with the scholarship information, sorted by due date. Keep the file up to date as new information becomes available. Check to see if the scholarships are renewable.
- Help others help you. If you are asking someone to write a letter of reference for you, make it easy for them. Provide them with some background on the scholarship for which you are applying, outline your accomplishments and skills that demonstrate your eligibility, and give your references plenty of time to write you a letter of recommendation. You can use this form to organize your request. Asking for a letter the day before the scholarship is due isn't a great idea, as your reference may not have time to write you a letter. When you are selected to receive a scholarship, be sure to thank your references for helping you out.
- Say "Thanks". Send a written thank you note to anyone who awards you a scholarship.
- Be careful. Unfortunately, you have to be aware that there are people who try to take advantage of scholarship applicants. Be wary if you are asked to pay a fee to apply for a scholarship, or if an application asks for personal information that isn't relevant to the scholarship.
Treat searching and applying for scholarships like a job and it will pay like one! Set aside some time every week to search for scholarships and to work on your applications. Keep track of deadlines using our handy tracking sheet so you don’t miss out on winning money for school!
A Good Scholarship Candidate
Asking for Reference Letters
Letters of Recommendation
Writing Scholarship Essays
Searching for Scholarships
When it comes to searching for scholarships,is a great place to start. There are lots of scholarship tools on the Internet. Be careful - you should never pay money to apply for a scholarship, and you'll want to make sure you understand how your personal information is collected and used by scholarship sites.
Scholarship Search Tools
Take advantage of the scholarship search tool on the (MCIS). The Montana Department of Labor and Industry provides a great way to search and apply for scholarships specific to your characteristics, interests, program of study, and more. Check out the video on our website to learn how to search for scholarships on MCIS.
Searching For Scholarships
Searching for Scholarships in MCIS
What makes an essay stand out? What do scholarships require? What does it take to earn scholarship money? We have the resources for you!
Understanding the Scholarship Process
Writing Scholarship Essays
College & Scholarship Essay Writing Tips
Earning Scholarship Money
There are two important things to keep in mind when it comes to scholarships: YOU are scholarship material and treat applying for scholarships like a job.
Volunteering and Scholarships